Junior High

High School


High School Planning


Concurrent Enrollment FAQ

Concurrent Enrollment FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about Earning College Credit While Still in High School

1.      What is Concurrent Enrollment?  

Concurrent Enrollment is an academic program involving high school and college collaboration that allows qualified students to earn college credit by taking college courses taught at their high school.

2.      Who is eligible to take Concurrent Enrollment classes?  

Students must be in 11th or 12th grade.  

Students must have a 3.0 GPA and maintain upper-level academic standing likely earning an A or B from the CE class and have good attendance.  

Students must comply with special course qualifications (ACT scores and/or course pre-requisites).

3.      What Concurrent Enrollment classes are offered at my high school?  

Course offerings vary from school to school and depend on faculty qualifications.

4.      Why aren’t all high school classes taught as Concurrent?  

All Concurrent Enrollment courses must lead to a certificate or degree program either fulfilling general education requirements or are elective courses that are listed as designated electives in a degree program at the sponsoring university.

5.      What do I need to do to get signed up for Concurrent classes?

You must first be admitted to the college/university offering the concurrent class.  

We recommend that admission be completed prior actually beginning the class (during the summer).

This may involve paying a one-time admission fee.    

Once you are admitted, you are eligible to register for the class.  

This two-step process of admission and registration MUST be completed prior to the college/university CE deadline (usually during the first two weeks of class)—NO exceptions.  

6.      How do I know what CE classes to register for?

General Education CE classes are appropriate for all qualified students.  

Designated elective CE classes are appropriate for those students planning to seek a degree in that field.  CE class selection should align with a student’s SEOP (student educational/occupational plan).

7.       Are CE classes different from regular high school classes?  

Concurrent Enrollment classes are rigorous college-level courses.  

These classes use college textbooks, follow a college syllabus, and cover more material at a faster rate and at a more in-depth level than regular high school courses.  

CE courses use assessment instruments (tests) as specified by the sponsoring college departments.

8.       I heard CE classes earn more high school credit than a regular class.  Is that true?  

Yes, you may have the opportunity to earn additional high school credit for completing a CE course.  

This applies to a 3 credit hour college course taught in one high school semester which will earn one full high school credit.  

Note:  Classes earning less than 3 credits or that are taught for a full year do not qualify for additional high school credit.


9.       How many CE classes can I take?  Should I register for as many as I can?  

State code limits the number of concurrent enrollment credits earned during one school year to 30.  Overloading your schedule with demanding CE classes is not advised.  

Only register for CE classes that will advance you toward a degree.

10.   I’ve heard excessive college credit not leading to a degree can cause problems…Can you have TOO MUCH credit?  

Yes!  Too many credits may jeopardize a student’s ability to qualify for financial aid.  

Many colleges and university charge a higher tuition rate for students who accumulate excessive credits prior to graduation.

11.   How much does CE cost?  

In the state of Utah, CE credit is FREE, however, there may be associated costs such as:  

One-time application fee to the sponsoring institution.  

Students may be required to purchase a textbook or other related materials.

12.   What about grades?  

All CE grades are posted to an official college transcript and a college GPA is established.  

This transcript becomes part of a student’s permanent college record.

College grades are also posted on the high school transcript and will affect the high school GPA.

13.   What if I don’t want to attend the university where the credit is being offered?  

Concurrent Enrollment credit is transferable to all in-state public institutions and to some private schools and out-of-state institutions on a case-by-case basis.  Be sure to check with your institution of choice to see if elective CE credit will align with their degree programs.  If you want your concurrent credit transferred to another university, you must initiate that process by contacting the registrar’s office of the university where you earned the credit and request a transcript.  

14.   Can I get my associate degree while still in high school?  

Yes, some students can earn an associate degree by earning AP, CE and Early College credit.  Your high school counselor will work closely with you to chart a sequence of courses.  This planning should begin as early as 9th grade.

15.   What is the New Century Scholarship?  

Eligible students must complete the requirements of an associate degree or its equivalent at a state institution of higher education by high school graduation.  Application must be made at least a year in advance.  Scholarship details can be found on the web at www.utahnewcentury.org.    

16.  Can I use concurrent classes to fulfill the requirements for the Regents Scholarship?

Concurrent classes must have prior-approval to qualify for the scholarship.  

Not all CE classes are acceptable.  

Tell your counselor that you are working towards this scholarship to be sure your CE classes will be accepted.   


Bottom Line……CE is a great WIN-WIN

For more information:

Your CTE Coordinator is your Site Representative for all CE programs offered at your school.

Your school counselor can help guide you with appropriate class selection.

District Supervisor contact information:  Holly Handy, email:  hhandy@dsdmail.net, phone:  801-402-5165

4 Year Plan

Graduation Requirements


Options Grade Level When Where Cost
SRC Remediation 9th SRC Lab 171 no cost
Saturday School 7th, 8th, 9th The first Saturday after grades are posted Lab 133 $30.00
Packets 9th Students pay and pick up packets and work at their own time Get packet from Northridge Learning Center $40.00